Welcome to A Corner Stop

This blog explores the different views and wonders of life. The following content in this blog may contain content only suitable for adults.You must be of legal age within your country to view the content which follows in this blog. I make no claim to the ownership to any of the content posted in this blog, such as the pictures, videos, or any other content that may be posted unless otherwise stated. Any content that has been posted at this blog was discovered through free and public sources from the world wide web and has been published here with the same intent of providing viewers with a greater resource of viewing this type of free content. If you spot an unauthorized picture or any other content that should not be posted here, please use the email that is provided in the profile listed at this blog and indicate that you are the legitimate copyright owner of this content. To assist in this process you must provide the posting name and the link to that specific content within the email for this content to be removed. Welcome to A Corner Stop blog.The following conte

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Take a Stand

I had a friend who participated in the Gay Olympics.  He was a great athlete.  I once asked, "why is it so important to emphasize participation in the Gay Olympics."  Truthfully, I did not understand.  I thought when people are trying to achieve and obtain the same privileges and rights of the hetero-community, why take an approach that makes you standout from the community.  He tried to explain it, but I just could not grasp the concept.  I think it was because when I saw him running as an athlete; I saw a man, a friend, running.  When I talked to him, I was having a conversation with a friend, not a gay man.  Just a man.

What I have learned in life is people, regardless of their social-economic status, basically want the same things (family, love, safety, self-worth) from life.  It does not matter if a person is black, white, latin, gay, lesbian, hetero, people want their basic needs met.  Fear and prejudice is often the catalyst which prevents people from accepting a person for who he/she is.  For instance, when we meet people or we are introduce to someone, it is by habit that we give the person a once over look, we observe their behavior, and often generate preconceived thoughts gathered from they way a person looks.  BUT, what were are really doing is stereotyping.  What makes matters worst, this often happens and is practiced in within the inner circles of our culture and community.  For instance, in the homosexual male community, there is an assumption in order to be appealing the male must be physically fit, masculine, straight-acting, well-endowed, no fems, no fatties.  However, the hetereo-sexual male is in pursuit of a beautiful female, preferably long hair, who has a coke bottle shape (36-24-36).  I could go on, but I think you understand what I am saying.  I also understand a person cannot help who he/she finds attractive.  However, a person can control conversations and gestures of hatred and prejudice convictions.  It is a sad thing that this type of behaviors are found in our schools.  There are a lot of things that I may have not understood, but I do understand that it is time to take a stand for a better life for everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment